Legal and Advocacy Committee
The APOSW Legal and Advocacy Committee is concerned with our governance and by-laws. We maintain guidelines for all procedures related to the functioning of APOSW, an incorporated entity. In our by-laws, the Legal and Advocacy Committee shall have jurisdiction with respect to legal questions which may arise from time to time concerning APOSW and the employment of legal counsel. The by-laws shall have jurisdiction with respect to educating the membership regarding legislation, pertinent issues and activities effecting pediatric oncology. The chairperson of the Legal and Advocacy Committee will serve as parliamentarian for the Association. The advocacy aspect of the committee refers to the advocacy work done by APOSW as an entity as well as advocacy by individual members.
Please contact the APOSW Legal & Advocacy Chair for questions about advocacy opportunities within APOSW.
As an organization, the Association of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers is committed to encouraging and promoting research within the membership through collaboration, opportunity, and mentoring.
Mandate of the Research Committee:
• To increase awareness of the diverse arenas wherein pediatric oncology social workers may participate in research.
• To foster an understanding of the important link between psychosocial oncology research, its impact upon clinical
practice, and how practice informs research.
• To facilitate the dispersion of research and its translation into practice.
• To enhance the comfort level as well as the skill base for social workers interested in participating in research.
• To liaise with childhood cancer research partners to educate them about the unique body of knowledge social works
contribute and to promote the inclusion of pediatric oncology social workers in research.
Meetings of the Research Committee are held during the annual conference and telephone conferences are held throughout the year.
Members interested in research are invited to contact the APOSW Research Committee Chair to learn more about opportunities for involvement.
APOSW would like to extend a special thanks to those who contributed to the development of the APOSW website.
Christa Burke, MSW, LCSW
Toni Cabat, DSW, LCSW
Nancy Cincotta, MSW
Maria Dolan, LCSW
Erin Garner, LCSW-C
Beth Gomez, MSW, LSW
Elizabeth Klein, LCSW
Laura Scott Lane, MSW, RSW
Elyse Levin-Russman, LiCSW
Paula McCarthy, LCSW, ACSW
Karen McKinley, PsyD, MSW
Solomy Ntambi, MSSW, CAPSW
Sue Stephens, MSW, LCSW, ACSW
Stacy Stickney Ferguson, MSW, LiCSW